The Madrid Group began in the spring of 2018 as part of a reading workshop on Silvia Federici’sCaliban and the Witch, organized by publisher Traficante de Sueños. Our usual meeting place is in the Espacio de Encuentro Feminista, located in C/ Ribera de Curtidores #2.
The objective principal of the group is to investigate and study the witch hunts in the 16th and 17th centuries in our country, and in particular our region, in coordination with other local, national, and international groups attached to the campaign. We seek to recover the memory of women persecuted for witchcraft by way of murder, torture, deprivation of liberty, lynching, eviction, dispossession, etc.. We also seek the restoration of their iconographic representation.
With this principal objective, the group works in the following sectors:
- Bibliography: Periodic reading group
- Local investigation: Villa y sierra de Madrid
- Communication: Dissemination of the campaign
- Map of the witch hunts in Spain
- Artistic intervention: the Grito Brujo Project